View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 1:27 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Not sure why we're even talking about this because it purely theoretical and will most likely never happen... but I don't feel a stadium belongs anywhere on the Peninsula. Stadiums are big. The need to be fed with high capacity, well ventilated roads. And they suck the soul out of funky urban and tight-knit residential areas. The Peninsula is simply too small and too tightly packed with residential and mercantile communities. If this idea were even real... which it's not... the only place I could think of would be the current Navy residential area bounded by Counnaught, Windsor and Bayers Rd... where the Cannex is. That area is huge and already dead and more or less cut off from the community. It has great road access via the bridge and the bi-high. You'd have to convince them to sell it first though. Otherwise, I'd say Shannon Park or Dartmouth Crossing. But on the peninsula? I say no.
The commons site reportedly emptied fairly quickly after the Paul McCartney concert so I think the DND Willow Park area would be ideal.

If Haligonians really want a stadium then it would be built since the residents are the ones electing the politicians. I think it is a matter of people in Halifax deciding on the priorities, another Metro Centre costing $100 - $150 million, or simply renovate the Metro Centre, which is already a good facility, for say $30 - $40 million (take out the skyboxes, add a couple thousand seats in the ends zones plus redo the skyboxes so they don't obstruct seats). Then there will be enough for the first stage of a stadium (say $20 - $25 million) plus a lot of money saved. I really don't see the point of building a new Metro Centre unless Halifax is aiming at a NHL team (which is an over-rated luxury in my opinion).