View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 5:01 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
We have been over this before. The narrowest section of Cap Metro ROW is between Morrow and Ohlen. There is residential on both sides, so an elevated solution is not appropriate. However, the narrowest width is 50 feet. That is wide enough for three tracks. Please refer to Section L on Page 13 of Appendix C of Cap Metro's Rail With Trails Study. http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/dow...ndix%20B-E.pdf

You will note it shows 3 tracks in 50 feet. The reason Cap Metro is not building trail within this section, is that they plan on adding tracks, and if they build a trail next to the existing single track, it will preclude adding tracks in the future.

I have also offered the possibility of routing on Anderson and Burnet, although I did not show that option on my map or chart for simplicity. Anderson Lane has a ROW of 85 feet, which is 5 feet wider than any Downtown street except for Congress. Burnet Road north of Anderson has a ROW of 130 feet at the narrowest point, 10 feet wider than Congress.

An in-street solution would be somewhat slower than in the rail ROW, but the rest of the Urban Rail system is also in-street, so it makes little difference. Even the 2000 LRT plan would have been in-street south of Airport and Lamar.
Thanks for posting the link to Section C. The only problem I have with it is that the drawings show every track, including light rail tracks, will remain at grade. I think I have proven with the DART Green Line photos earlier that light rail tracks don't have to remain at grade, that light rail tracks can be built above commuter rail tracks. I strongly suggest it is physically possible to place 6 tracks in a 50 feet corridor, 3 tracks at grade and 3 tracks above or below grade. I'll admit building tracks above or below grade isn't cheap, but it isn't impossible either. I'll also admit having 6 tracks in that corridor isn't needed.

Looking at the drawings carefully, CapMetro expects 15 feet separation between track centerlines, and 10 feet separation for other obstacles from track centerlines. Trails have a minimum of 25 feet clearance from track centerlines in 50 feet wide corridor, and 35 feet clearances from track centerline in 100 feet corridor. In 50 feet wide corridor, no bike/hike trails are built in the existing right-of-way, they're all built in bordering easements or along parallel streets.