View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Re the parade photo.

I wouldn't put money on it but I think that's King West. Maybe the block between MacNab and Park. I think that's the old King George Hotel in background which stood on the NE corner of King and MacNab.
You probably should have placed a bet... I can't find a photo of the entire stretch there from the same era, but here are a few that show seem to show many of the same buildings.

For comparison:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
1893, RHLI marching through town (James St.?)

Source
This one may be showing the building on the very left, the Iroquois Hotel at Park. The windows seem to be identical, with the lighter blocks above the arches, the cornice is the same; its lost the balcony on the second floor, and the building to its east has likely had a floor added:

And this is the hotel you referenced, at MacNab, though it's a beauty school at the time this was taken:

Some of these on the left side of the photo, between MacNab and Park, look familiar too but with some facade and structural changes:

Source for all photos: "The Facelift and the Wrecking Ball: Urban Renewal and Hamilton’s King Street West, 1957–1971", by
Margaret T. Rockwell