View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 10:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I am not so sure that taller buildings in the 15 or 20 storey range make much sense on streets like Gottingen or Bilby. The 8-storey scale is great for these areas, particularly when the new developments have a sprinkling of commercial space and ground floor townhouse entrances. These developments are a big step up from previous generations of residential construction in the North End.

Young Street, on the other hand, is a great spot for tall buildings. It would be interesting to see some 40 storey residential buildings there. It also makes sense as a secondary employment hub since it has good access to the downtown and bridges.
I wonder what the density potential is for what I hope to be some form of Uptown Halifax. Much of the North End is a sea of warehouses, surface parking, and empty fields. I want this area to evolve to a superior level of urbanity than that of the downtown. I realise 40 storeys is more reasonable, but once there is an established stock of 8-storey buildings in the area it may be more likely to accept 40+ on Young Street and Kempt Road. With the height phobia in Halifax, this is a crucial opportunity to actually develop some real density in the city -- and for this *one* portion of the HRM, be a big city.

Now that we're seeing success in Downtown Halifax, once all of the surfacing parking has been developed (especially on the waterfront), more development focus should shift toward the North End.