View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I agree with the remarks about the location of the building being in the most appropriate place. This is basically an extension of Comcast's existing mother ship at 1701 JFK Blvd. Also, architecturally this building is appropriately placed among other 40-50-plus-story office towers. East of Broad Street there are a handful of high-rise office buildings, but for a good reason. I always wondered why Market East was never developed as a high-end retail center, and someone responded by saying it catered to the local market, which was mostly lower and lower-middle class residences. Plus, I guess land value here wasn't quite as high as that once you head west of Broad. I guess when the zoning laws changed some time during the 1980s to allow for buildings to rise higher than the height of Billy Penn, they decided to cluster the highrises in this area of the city given the relatively higher price of land.

I'm just speculating based on what someone told me here on SSP. If anyone else has any insight do tell! I'm not originally from Philly, but I am living and working in the greater Philly region. I do have pride in it, and talk of a supertall here is rather exciting!
Development of Center City West corresponded with suburban station being connected to the reading commuter lines known as the center city connection. This along with the penn center redevelopment shifted the prime office space west because of the open space and it was now the center of regional trains.