Thread: Floating City
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
Maybe you should bring this idea up at the SSC 3d forum.
You´re spot on, but how could I be forgiven if I didn´t test the waters in this beloved corner of the internet first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
I'm wondering that, if this kind of city would actually exist, would it be very static like land cities where buildings don't change places, or would it be very dynamic so that boats would change place often.
Good question. Most of the concepts for individual buildings in the above images are meant to have full (yet slow) mobility.
The Crescent or Ramform shape features a tall massive ship-like bow that faces the waves and tides, while the broad aft allows maximum stability for the moonpool or harbor it shelters, even in movement or in the high seas:

These models for a ¨sea house¨ with dock, or floating private island are able to migrate from one coast, neighborhood, or ocean to another, perhaps surpassing the experience of a natural private island.
The aft-facing decks are partially shaded by the enclosing shell.

I am also working on visualizing another type of town-sized structure (a bowl, or plate) that I imagine would be almost completly stationary, much like a floating polder, in a scale more in line with the spirit of Skyscraper Page and City.