View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:18 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

By Point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You should make a sign and go stand in front of those buildings and call for it then.
Maybe I should...or for all that's worth, maybe I should just watch holographic flying Rocky Mountain spotted osyters sprout forth fom my nostrils.....

Quote:
There is a very specific a serious proposal to take this one down and replace it with a larger and modern office tower that can accommodate the bank's needs under one roof.
I suggested this earlier; but is it possible...even instead of doing a grander-scale 425 Park job on the existing tower as was previously suggested...to build around it, i.e using the square footage from the annex, building to 700' at the existing tower--which itself would become the new annex--and actually cantilevering the remaining 500' or whatever over it?

Quote:
And it will be in an area of Midtown that the city is desperately trying to hold as the number one business district in the city, even as it provides room for expansion elsewhere. With all of the improvements already coming to the area, thanks to One Vanderbilt (which is really the first tower to move forward under rezoning, just a technicality) and the Eastside Access of the LIRR make this the logical place to add density.
No denying from me that it's a hard, yet necessary compromise for a hardliner like me. I mean the Three Sisters of Park Avenue were for me as a kid what the Three Musketeers (Times, Conde Nast and BofA) are for many today...and rightly so. But I guess if one wants to make an omelette...

Quote:
I don't hate this building, but I think the improvements (in both the new building, and area) outweigh just trying to hold on to a building just because it's old.
Ah...Old from a standpoint of practicality for today's technological and business models; Tha's for sure. But it's status as the first true skyscraper of its type in MidTown cannot be overlooked.
And this is the saddest part of the story for me: We're looking, for all intents and purposes, at a modern-day version of the Singer Building swan-song. The only difference here is that this potential dismantling is being prompted by real-world circumstances that indeed need to be addressed.

Quote:
And if Chase had decided to refurbish the building again, it would likely get a new facade like some of the other buildings are doing now anyway, so it wouldn't even look like the same building, losing the point of trying to keep it.
A. Could they have recladded with newer materials yet keeping the feel of the original design? B. It bears repeating; but I am reminded of the disastruous plans to re-purpose One Astor Plaza...I dunno: apples and oranges maybe.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to learning and hearing more about this proposal as it moves forward.
You can bet I'll be on this like something on a stick.........