View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
That truly is a priceless old photo and I've spent a lot of time staring at it, trying to translate the streets and landmarks to the way downtown looks today. I've also been discussing this image with my mom, who grew up in L.A. in the 30's and 40's. She has had trouble loading the data-heavy pages on this site, but raised some points that I'd like to pass along.

She notes that when the photo was taken, California had been a U.S. territory for only about 15 years and prior to that, it was part of Mexico.

So, she asks, where are the adobe buildings, enclosed patios, chicken yards, etc? (Perhaps they were in some other part of town, and this was all newly built?)

Further, where are the barns for horses, and where are the vehicles? People had to have some type of conveyance to get around.

In later photos of early L.A. I see lots of horses but not in this shot, or in other very early images of L.A. I have found on this thread. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks in advance. I have to say it again - I LOVE this thread.
welcome to the forum 3940dxer! great info on 6000 sunset, teh old western studios!

Sonora town which was the mexican settlement ran on the north side of the plaza. here is an 1873 view looking north from fort moore hill at the adobes of sonora town

Source: LAPL

here is a Rendall panoramic drawing of Los Angeles, ca.1869. The buildings and streets of the panorama are individually numbered and listed above the panorama.......

this was posted sometime ago

once again, welcome!