View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
While a politician shouldn't be attacked at the individual level for being - or not being - of a particular racial or ethnic background, it's certainly a legitimate question to ask why a single racial/ethnic demographic subset of the population is disproportionately dominant in terms of leadership and governance while other demographics are under-represented. Maybe not from the perspective of any demographic "deserving" to be represented by someone more like them, but certainly in terms of their responsibility to contribute to and involve themselves in the difficult but important business of steering and leading a shared society in the best possible direction.

It seems to me that in order to actually want such a position one must truly feel connected to and rooted in a particular society and a lack of people with such feelings of shared responsibility within large swatches of social demographics signals a level of disconnectedness. I would argue that much the same would apply to a society with chronic low voter turn out and that disproportionately low rates among certain demographics (whether they be age, socio-economic, ethnic, racial, or other) is also worth exploring.
These are good questions, but it's worth noting that Doug Ford gets singled out for/with this (presumably because people don't like him) whereas Justin Trudeau does not.

And I say this as someone who much prefers the latter over the former.