View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Ford is the one always going on and on about he's governing "for the people", so I think OP actually kind of asks a fair question. Doug Ford does market himself anti-establishment even though he is part of the establishment. He comes from a very wealthy family but he presents himself as "average Joe". Somehow the people look at a guy with those kind of connections, who very visibly has an excessive lifestyle and lacks self-control, and then elect him to govern contrary all that.
Donald Trump did the same thing.

There is a certain appeal to having a fairly blunt 'good ol' boy' image that defies conventional political advice - taking a blunt stand on certain divisive issues as opposed to a more nuanced stance. It's an appeal to emotion as opposed to logic.

The problem tends to be when the rubber meets the road. "Taxes are too high and I'll cut them" is great political theater, but no politician will advocate - "I'll gut Medicare to pay for tax cuts".

Kathleen Wynne was playing the role of Hillary Clinton in the last Ontario election. She had absolutely no emotional weight to her campaign, it was all coldly logical.

I guess in the end that everybody needs a reminder that windbags are just that. Ontario is learning that lesson now.