View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Kludged together hospitals are always a nightmare to navigate. I'm not sure how old HSC is in St. John's, but there definitely was an era where there wasn't much foresight into 'we will need expansion'. Thus, random additions.

I've noticed it in newer hospitals that were designed from the ground-up versus one that are additions on previous buildings.
Construction started in 1972, and it feels like a piece has been added to the building every 5 years or so since then. Everything is so disjointed. When I was a graduate student I had to swing by the HSC to drop off samples to one of the research labs. My instructions to get there were very vague....."enter through this door, walk down the hallway, take the 5th elevator you see, ride it to the 3rd floor, walk down the hall, get on another elevator, ride it to the 5th floor". I missed one of the initial elevators and ended up in Gynecology. There was no way to the research lab from there since while it was on the same floor there was no access....it was completely walled off from the rest of the hospital. What should have been a quick 10 minute trip to deliver samples took almost an hour.