View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Alberta accents:

In and around Edmonton, there is the french town of Beaumont. Don't know how much it differs from Quebec French but maybe our francophone friends can critique.

And French at St. Isadore in the northwest.

And French at Girouxville in the northeast.
The first guy from Beaumont Marc Landry is quite obviously a transplant from the Maritimes as he speaks with an Acadian accent.

As for the St-Isidore and Girouxville clips, they are not super-clear but from what I could gauge they sound very similar to the mainstream Canadian French (non-Acadian) accent that is dominated by Québécois. If I spoke to people with less background noise I would likely pick up more differences but to someone from Quebec they would likely sound like a "slightly distanced member of the family".

I have met Franco-Albertans before and quite a few of them have a drawly aspect to their accent (Fransaskois often have this too), but I did not pick it up in these videos.

And these are rural areas which still have high percentages of francophones, so you can speak French during a good part of your day there.

Native francophones in most of the West who grew up in the larger cities tend to have a strong anglo twist to their accent, and often sound like Anglo-Montrealers speaking French to Québécois ears.