View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Newfoundland uses sequential exits on the Trans Canada, and there are a few ##A and B exits around St. John's and maybe Corner Brook. I don't think the province uses exit numbers on any other highways, they just sign where the exit leads.
The only ##A/B exit in the province I know of is the interchange between the TCH (Highway 1) and Pitts Memorial Drive (Highway 2) in St. John's - on the TCH it's Exit 41A southbound on Pitts Memorial Drive into Mount Pearl/downtown and 41B northbound on Pitts Memorial Drive onto the CBS bypass into CBS.

The interchanges at Kenmount Road/Karwood Drive, Torbay Road and Portugal Cove Road have separate north/south exits, but I don't think they're numbered with A/B. Either way the signage is quite good for 41A/B, if you know where you're going in St. John's. If you're going east into the city from, well, the middle of nowhere (also known as Newfoundland, flamesuit ), there's a sign saying Exit 41A - Mount Pearl / St. John's (downtown) and then two overhead signs with the left lanes reading Exit 41B - Conception Bay South and the right lane reading Exit 41A - Mount Pearl / St. John's (downtown) again, and then the exit opens for 41A (cloverleaf) and 41B is on a weaving lane with traffic going eastbound on the TCH from Pitts Memorial and traffic heading north on Pitts Memorial/CBS Bypass/Highway 2 exiting.

That was quite possibly the most confusing paragraph I've ever written, but it isn't overly complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
Newfoundland does use the sequential numbers, but that's because the TCH is literally the only highway for the vast majority of that province.
Yeah, pretty much. I've never seen any highway in the province other than the TCH have exit numbers. Pitts Memorial only has 4 or 5 exits anyway before it goes into CBS, and then 4 or 5 more there and the other highways are mostly just at-grade intersections.