Thread: MSA or CSA?
View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshSteve View Post
I agree with you that Akron and Canton are more culturally connected than Akron and Cleveland. But physically I'd say Akron is more connected to Cleveland. Sure the national park is in between, but its nothing both sprawl down both sides of the park. The park is more of an island surrounded by Cleveland/Akron. The entire northern third of Summit County (Akron) is comprised of Cleveland suburbs, as is a good chunk of Portage County (the other county in the Akron MSA). Richfield, Sagamore Hills, Northfield, Twinsburg, Aurora, Streetsboro, Boston Hts, even half of Hudson, is all Cleveland sprawl. If we are going to say the Akron MSA is not connected to Cleveland, then that's something like 100,000 people that should be subtracted from Akron and added to Cleveland. The reverse can be said about Wadsworth (Medina County, Cleveland MSA) which is thoroughly an Akron suburb.

I know Akron loves their independence from Cleveland, but the reality is that Cleveland sprawl has been swallowing it up. The two are thoroughly connected, and everything I just said speaks to how absurd MSA measurement can be.
I agree with your first paragraph but would disagree with your second. Cleveland Sprawl is not so agressive that Akronites would feel swallowed up by it. I agree that the areas are connected, and even more so since Route 8 as Freeway was extended up to 271 about 10 years ago but no one I know in Akron(or its suburbs) feels like they are a part of Cleveland. It's only once you get up to Hudson and north of Turnpike do people feel that way.