Thread: MSA or CSA?
View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I disagree. Metropolitan areas can be polycentric and Cleveland-Akron just happen to be one. Even supposedly monocentric metropolitan areas (Los Angeles, Tokyo, São Paulo) have multiple nodes of employment scattered all over the urban area.

I just looked for Summit and Portage on Google Maps and their northern sections of both are taken by suburban sprawl from Cleveland and there are continuously urbanized areas all the way down to Downtown Akron, located on the southern part of the county.

About Canton MSA, it's now included on Cleveland CSA and I find it perfectly reasonable as well.

That's what I said: sometimes CSAs definitions have a couple of more rural counties attached that makes no difference. MSAs, on the other hand, have several examples of problematic definitions.
My response to this statement is that, 40 percent of the workforce between Summit (Akron) and Stark (Canton) cross county lines whereas only 19 percent of the workforce of Cuyahoga and Summit cross county lines, and this is how combining metros are determined by the OMB. I would add this is why Akron and Canton have filed with the OBM to become one Metro area as they supersede the threshold of 25 percent. Also the Cuyahoga Valley National Park which lies between them is the great barrier of any continuity of Cleveland flow and Akron flow. Lastly there is no such thing governmentally as the Cleveland CMSA. There is the Cleveland-Akron- Canton CMSA to be correct, an area probably 60 to 70 miles north to south and therein lies the problem with the vast majority of categorizing CMSA , they are too ambiguous to be reliably definitive.