View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 9:56 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Just curious if anyone here has experienced 50 deg C ( 122 deg F ) outdoors. What is that heat like? Does it feel like your pants are burning and shoes are frying? Describe that level of heat. Do you constantly need a shower? Does the wind burn your face?

Is it hot at night too?
Uh, yes. It sucks. I lived in Arizona, and it frequently got up that high... maybe 30+ days in a year.

Or, as I liked to put it, by April 1st, it was too hot to swim in an outdoor pool.

Basically, 50C temperature (with less than 1% humidity) is so damn hot that if you are out in the sun for over 45 minutes, you'll end likely end up in the hospital, because all the water in your body evaporates! You sweat - but you don't get wet, because it instantly evaporates and leaves you extremely hot and dry.

Walking outside of an air conditioned office set at 60F into 122F also creates a massive shock to your body... Which I found quite draining.

However, as long as you stay outside of the direct sun (and assuming you don't have much humidity - which make sit quite worse) than it isn't that bad if you aren't doing heavy physical labor. You can eat lunch, read a book, do some walking... but its the direct sun that'll literally give you a heat stroke if you aren't properly hydrated.

The other thing I remember about living there is that I didn't go outside much. Maybe from late November to early March, but then I was inside all day long, every day. We had a crappy apartment with 0 insulation; with 2 A/C units blasting, it lowered the temp to around 95F (!!). It was terrible. My girlfriend and I sat around in our underwear watching television... and that was about it. Around 11-12 at night we'd finally go out, cause it cooled off quite a lot, being in the high desert.

In the end, however, I moved back to Oregon. It rains, it never gets above 105F, there are rivers (with water in them!!!), lakes, trees, an ocean, and rain. Ooooh, the rain. Guess I'm one of those people who'd rather freeze to death than fry to death... and I've done both.

Last edited by zilfondel; Apr 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM.