Thread: Halifax Retail
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Denny's is the epitome of a mediocre chain restaurant. I go way back with them, to the '70s and '80s when our family visited the USA. There were two competing sit-down restaurant chains then that seemed to compete for the same market, Denny's and Sambo's. After eating at each a few times it was indisputable that Denny's was not good while Sambo's was actually quite good. Sadly their name choice hurt them over time and they became defunct.

It is remarkable how ga-ga locals get over these places when they arrive here - Popeye's being the most recent example. Going back there were lines at Quiznos when they first opened, also Coldstone Creamery. Some even have an inexplicable obsession for Arby's. I have been to all those places. They are all mediocre or worse.
Which speaks to the over-saturation of our market by the same old chains that we’ve endured for decades, more than anything else. I would prefer higher quality stand alone mom and pop type restaurants over chains, but that market seems to be tied up with more ethnic themed food, which is fine, but I don’t want to eat Thai or middle eastern food every time I go out to eat or bring home takeout.

I’m curious as to which chains our anti-Denny’s contingent would rather see coming to Halifax, or are you satisfied with the same old same old…