View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 11:34 PM

I respect your opinion and you bring up an interesting concept when you mention doing something as simple as a garden of some type on a vacant parcel. As long as you limit it to something as simple as that to avoid taxation, your idea may work.

What I think may be problematic is if you forced everyone to develop their properties at one time or be penalized. What would happen if every vacant property downtown were developed at once? Opportunities for new development, or redevelopment, will become more costly and difficult. Great downtowns develop over time. Because there were large portions of downtown un or underdeveloped, ASU was able to build a campus, U of A was able to bring a med school, the civic center was able to expand and the Sheraton was built. Going a little further back, Chase Field was able to be built. Now with these projects, hopefully there will be a snowball effect and more projects will come on line.

I want a vibrant downtown as much as anybody (REALLY...REALLY...REALLY!). I just don't want to see something that will force the market instead of letting it mature on its own.