View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge
After 95 years as the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, the structure will be known as the
United Airlines Memorial Coliseum. Thanks for showing such good taste, USC!
At least the massive scoreboard and videoboard have been removed from atop the peristyle.

awful

youtube screengrab

Does anyone know if the central part of the peristyle is hollow? -or is there just enough room for wiring and what-not.

note the door-like opening to the right of my red arrow.

youtube screengrab

and here's the earliest view of the peristyle known to man.

youtube screengrab

Watch the brief [1:14] video below.

Video Link

I am briefly going far afield for a moment.

Selling the naming rights to Memorial Stadium stinks to high heaven, but as everyone knows, it's happening all around.

Near my hometown, the iconic Assembly Hall at the University of Illinois was renamed the State Farm Center (they dropped the name Assembly Hall completely )

historic images

I was only three years old when the Assembly Hall was completed, but every time my family passed by it, or attended an event there
like the Ice Capades, Barnum & Bailey Circus etc., my imagination soared to new heights.
It was like a massive flying saucer had landed in the cornfields!

and at night it looked like it's about to take off!

So yes, the Assembly Hall was sadly renamed...but the university also considered tearing it down (which is unf*cking-believeable )

If interested, you can learn more about the construction of the massive 4,400 ton dome HERE.
*The Assembly Hall was designed by U of I alumnus Max Abramovitz, of Harrison & Abramovitz, NYC.

OK, OK....back to our beloved Los Angeles

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 8, 2018 at 3:40 AM.