View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:43 AM

2500 W 7th Street

I was very put out a few days back about the plans for 2500 W 7th St and the catastrophic effect this would have on McManus & Morgan (75 years at this address) and Aardvark Letterpress, and also the integrity of this intact, architecturally significant block.

After being in communication with the architecture firm (they're based in Madrid) involved in the project (I'm sure I'm not the only one who wrote with concerns), one of the principals wrote back to say, that after consulting with the new owner of the building, both McManus & Morgan and Aardvark Letterpress will be allowed to stay after all. He met with the business owners yesterday to give them the good news. The rest of the block will also be taken into consideration as they move forward with their design.

If the firm does as good a job with No. 2500 as Ragnar Qvale did with the 1958 update to the Morgan, Walls and Morgan (Stiles O. Clements, not yet a partner, was probably supervising architect) at No. 2515-2525 W 7th, I'll be very pleased. Here's hoping.

Right now I'm feeling nothing but relief. Three cheers for Gary and Cary and their continuing tenancy at 2500 W 7th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
McManus and Morgan's shop front:

blogspot

Aardvark Letterpress' corner space:

yelp

Last edited by tovangar2; May 19, 2017 at 4:15 AM.