View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 7:43 PM

Google Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2
Speaking of W 28th Street, Irving Gill and his then-partner, Frank Mead, built a wonderful U-shaped, peaked-roof home for Homer Laughlin at 666 W 28th in 1907-8 (unfortunately I can find no digital images of it, but there's four pages of photos and plans in Thomas S Hines monograph on Gill). It is now the fraternity house for Sigma Nu. Although it's buried under unfortunate remodels and additions, apparently the stairwell is still recognizable as Gill's work. I don't know if this feature survived the current remodel. It would be a great pity if the last vestige of Gill's work here was destroyed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2
I mentioned the Shankland house in one post GW, but only because it's the only one on the block that hasn't been remodeled out of all recognition and the only one to retain its carriage house
(I don't mind that the witches' hats on the dormers have gone missing).

No part of these houses should be missing, but then we wouldn't have had them at all if not for the men who made the money to build them. May we take a moment to remember them? For one thing, they were by and large responsible for the finer aspects of the built environment of Old Los Angeles, some of which remains today. Without them, good architects, including Gill and Hunt, wouldn't have had jobs, none of the construction jobs their projects required would have been created, and none of us would be here celebrating the best buildings that money could buy back when... just a thought.