View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
If the bark peels in the way that Cedars do, its not an elm, or at least not a healthy one.

If its reddish hue, that could be red/slippery elm; but would not be white/American elm.

Its certainly possible you're looking at an elm, but pictures aside, I need to know why you think the bark looks like Cedar.

The slant on the elm leaf at its base is a very clear give away, you don't see than on Birch/Ironwood.

There some links above, but I can copy/paste some bark pictures, if it helps.
Yeah the slant at the base of the leaf is a very interesting and helpful criterion. Thanks

This tree is on a bit of my land that's on the other shore of the river that borders the main parcel, and earlier this summer I went there for the first time in years just to see what was there and I got very wet crossing over (which is why I didn't bring my phone; I was fine getting wet as it was a hot summer day), so I couldn't get pictures of that mystery tree. But now it's on my to-do list to go and have another look at it, whenever I can.

If it's not an elm, then it's got to be by far the biggest and oldest Ostrya of Virginia ("ironwood" 'round these parts) that I've ever seen... but then again, the leaf wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but there's variation too and it was pretty close.

The cedar-ish trunk is just from memory.

I don't recall touching it, I should have - I know for sure it's not a black ash but those are easily identified by how mellow/smooth their trunk is to the touch, so that can be one more clue.