View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
They kicked people out of their homes to build the arena in Brooklyn. They claimed right of eminent domain (for private business in that case, ahem...). Well, this is a real case of eminent domain. The city needs a workable transit hub much more than it needs a basketball arena.. Oh wait, it doesn't need a basketball arena. The Knicks and Rangers are private businesses that only serve those who can afford to buy a ticket to see a bunch of millionaires play games. Penn Station serves literally millions who work in the city, visit from other places, and rely on a working mass transit system to help the overall economy of the city and the region.

Move Penn Station.
Hate to break it to you, but the Knicks and the Rangers have nothing to do with the reason MSG doesn't want to move. And seeing as Eminent Domain plays no factor here, I don't even see why it came up.

Regardless of the outcome, the Knicks and the Rangers are going to get another stadium somewhere in the area, possibly this time on an even larger plot of "unused" land with air rights from here to Beijing. Penn Station really got the short end of the stick, when the Dolans decided to plop an oversized toilet bowl over one of the largest transit hubs in the country, so their really isn't an argument, and I don't see why they're putting up a fight to want to stay because the Garden is "famous."

Hell, the Yankees built a carbon copy, new millennium edition of their stadium from the ground up, directly across the street from the original, and without hesitation, people still call it Yankee Stadium, so I see no reason why the Dolans are being so persistent over a lost cause.