View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtown View Post
Up here in Ontario, (Waterloo Region) it took me a bit of time to realize from when i moved here but pretty much every subdivision even older ones that look like they were built in the 70's, 80's looked a little different and i couldn't figure out why. Then it hit me. There isn't a single power line to be found anywhere. Not so much for main roads but in subdivisions it looks like its been standard practice for a long time. How come no subdivisions in Halifax even new ones are like this? i understand cost is the main reason but it just seems very behind the times....Although a lot of things in Nova Scotia are like that
To be fair it should be noted that some newer subdivisions have buried utilities.

Thistle Grove (off HPR in Bedford)

In Waterberry Park (West Bedford) the main road (Amesbury Gate) has overhead power lines but some of the cul de sacs are buried.

My main issue with the overhead lines is how they are being treated in the Regional Centre. Almost every major development requires the sidewalk to be removed for quite awhile. They always just put the power poles back in place. These sidewalks last for over 40 years and Halifax only considers burying utilities if the sidewalk is removed.

P.S. some sidewalks on major arteries like North Street date back to 1979 and are still in great shape.