View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
All I know is I hope for Philly's sake that this build up and gentrification doesn't stop. The city needs another decade of CC cleaning up for sure. If this can be done without tax abatements, fine.

And if we stop these abatements how about we spend the increased revenue on something other than schools. Philadelphia schools are bad because of unruly kids and violence. If you want to invest in police and security fine, but this idea that buying newer text books or Mac computers is what will solve the problem is completely off base.

And this isn't a "giving rich people money" argument. It is making owning a condo or home in the city enticing when you have a ton of other option. Philly doesn't get its tax base from Kensington, it gets it from center city residents and businesses.
If CC needs another decade of cleaning I would hate to know what 99% of other American downtowns need. Also a huge amount of the tax base comes from northwest, northeast, many parts of s. Philly, university city. Not everything is CC. Even Kensington is experiencing a decent amount of gentrification.