View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Wow. Reading the documentation at the link reveals an excellent example of planning bureaucracy run amok. Page upon page of minutely detailed requirements and staff analysis of same, then a proposal that looks uninspired and a lot like every other similar building constructed in recent years, arguably only worse. All of that time and money spent by HRM isn't buying us much.
I don't know, I think that sheets A4.1, A4.2, and A4.4 show that the massing does a pretty good job of transitioning to the scale of the adjacent detached housing. The requirements provide minimums for respecting setbacks, stepbacks, basic massing, fenestration and openness. Inspiring design from the Architect is a separate issue in my mind.

Are there any designs locally for this size and type of development, unhindered by the requirements, that you think illustrate the benefit of not having basic design criteria defined? I wonder if it's an issue with clash between your expectations and the local development/design community rather than the bylaws?