View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 3:59 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
I've got a degree in engineering (and loathe sales & marketing), currently renovating a theater & building an apartment above it, but I have some dude on the internet telling me I'm falling for sales jargon, because he's been told all modern wooden houses are designed to be torn down after 20 years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not expecting the house to last 11,000 years like some kind of Shigir idol, but having lived in a variety of houses over the last few decades, of varying vintage, the house we had in Nehemiah was the newest house we'd lived in. The design of the structure isn't clever, and it's not terribly exciting, but it's well engineered. The materials weren't luxurious, but they are sturdy.

Nonetheless, I do have to remind myself... this is skyscraperpage.com. Single family housing isn't something worth discussing here, and it was my mistake to wade back into that pool - sorry for going off topic, it's hard to resist the desire to chip in when folks are talking about where I lived for the last six years, and they get the details wrong.

It's been exciting watching this city refresh itself over the past decade I've been here, and I'm glad there's a community dedicated to talking about it. Carry on

Hey a fellow Engineer. I too have a degree in Engineering. I am not sure if people here are just development enthusiasts (with no knowledge on construction) or architects.....who usually still have no knowledge of construction.

Engineers pick on architects all the time.