View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I am sorry to say its not a pedway. The renderings show its a five storey glass atrium between the buildings at ground level. Therefore Grafton street is no more as it will have this structure built on top of it.

That is where the required convention floors space comes from
That would be a disaster that the top part of downtown would never recover from in my opinion. There are already too many super-blocks (Metro Centre/Trade Centre and Scotia Square) plus a few large footprint buildings such as the Prince George and Cambridge Suites that take up entire blocks and offer no street life. Argyle and Blowers are the only streets with anything going for them above Barrington and this project will seriously hurt Argyle if it goes ahead as described - blank walls, brick and glass.

I seriously hope that Cogswell is the choice. If HRM and the Province push forward with the Argyle convention centre they will be throwing out most of the major principles put forward by HRMbyDesign. Nothing like spending a million dollars and three years and than wrecking the whole endeavour with the first major downtown project. How will HRM possibly ask developers to follow these rules when they can't even be bothered?