View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
It's not. I worked there. I have friends that work there. It's horrible. And it stinks to high Heaven.

Not all buildings, especially government buildings, are worthy just because they are occupied. This new courthouse is years, maybe decades, overdue.
The Brewhouse (Emma) at the Pearl wasn't torn down. Yes, the interior was completely gutted, but that happens with most historical repurposing.

The problem with the courthouse is two-fold: 1. It was never designed as a courthouse, and 2. It has never been maintained. Repurposing (or restoring it back to its original function) would fix both problems.

Spoiler mentioned the Hedrick building as an example of a structure in worse shape. Look also at what they did with the Savoy Building on Houston Street. Yes, old doesn't necessarily mean historic, but I think it would be a shame to tear down the old "courthouse" just because it wasn't maintained.

My biggest fear is what would replace the building - wood framed apartments? While many of these new apartment buildings we see sprout up around downtown currently look nice on the outside, their design, quality, and method of construction is not meant to last.