View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown View Post
I know this place! Assuming the address is correct, the street behind these two women is Raymond Avenue which runs north and south and T's into 36th Place. That school building pictured here was likely replaced by what would later be my own elementary school, the 37th Street School. It is now called the "Lenicia Weems Elementary School."

The garden upon which the women are standing would later become the property of the Senshin Buddhist Temple. The temple, established in the 1950's continues to be a cultural and religious landmark for the Japanese American community in Los Angeles. This area was once known in the JA community as the Seinan district (translated Westside). It was one of the few places that permitted Japanese to rent or purchase homes post WW2.
On a semi-related note...since you just mentioned the Senshin Temple, and since I just picked this up as part of a large estate of JA wartime/internment/postwar material (e.g., "Nisei Drug" bowling shirts, military uniforms, BSA uniforms from the camp at Poston) I thought I'd toss it in here 'cuz it's not something you see every day—the Senshin baseball uniform: