View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 1:29 AM

I don't think its as big of a problem as people think its is, one option that VIA can use is the return of an all BUDD stainless fleet, the Ren cars are outdated and will not be upgraded or rebuilt unlike the stainless cars which are going through a rebuild as we speak. Last Fall VIA tested out running the locomotives back to back, with the seating in those cars able to be turned or the cars rebuilt as 50/50 seating like the corridor that'll solve that problem, The park cars will likely come off but, be replaced with the SKYLINE lounge cars which can be in either direction (one can be in deadhead facing the opposite way until it reverses direction and becomes the last car on the train)..the issue or the only thing that has to be worked out is with the baggage car placement. They may be able to access the turntable in Rockingham yard to spin a car as well. This issue came to light in the fall when VIA was restricted from using that wye due to the port being busy and now they spin the train around in the middle of the night or late evening. VIA already did the studies on putting a WYE at Windsor Jct but, CN increased the price of construction of the switches (turnouts) required to complete that project. So I believe thats a dead issue unless the 2 RR's come to an agreement.

One thing that could happen MY THEORY... Come into and out of Moncton with an extra locomotive..the inbound crew takes 1 loco off in Moncton, along with the park car and turns the 2 by the CN Gordon yard and returns to the station and sets up the Park car to be coupled onto when the westbound arrives and the 3rd or extra loco gets added onto that same train.

Either way, I don't think its dooms day for the OCEAN, it may look different but, the ridership has dictated that it is a viable service. The 1st scenario came from a VIA employee that has heard that suggestion last year when VIA was going to be booted off Halterm's balloon track.