View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
I don't think there were other motives. You make it sound like all the people who didn't win the bid were conspiring in the background to blow this up on twitter as soon as it launched. I'm pretty sure the entire twitter thing was just a random assortment of (social media savvy) Hamiltonians latching on to something "so sad it's funny".

Your post kind of rubs me the wrong way because it has a tinge of that attitude where the people who get engaged (whether on twitter, facebook, or in the real world at meetings, or by writing letters to council or starting campaigns) are the "usual suspects" or "activists" or have a bug up their ass for some reason - and that the silent majority of hamiltonians don't agree with them so they should not be listened to.

In my mind, the silent majority of hamiltonians are silent because they really don't care. they have given up on the city. they live their life of having an affordable mortgage with an easy commute to wherever they work and ready access to shopping. Their main beef is "high taxes", but they haven't bothered to get informed about what's necessary to lower them (intensification being really the only solution).

When only a small percentage of the population is engaged and trying to make a difference, I think that we should be branding the other 90% who do NOTHING as the "usual suspects"

It's such a sad state of affairs.
Is it really such a big deal or sad state of affairs? Compared to all the other problems this city has the fact that they asked a question on Twitter seems a bit of a stretch to me. I don't mean to disparage local activists but I really hate this sense of exclusivity activists can get - we can't even tender a contract with a company in Ottawa without people getting miffed. That's where I see the enlarged sense of importance - just because you're committed or specially engaged doesn't mean you have some special right to say how the city is to be run.