View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
foodwise, la relies too much on the scale of it's ethnic enclaves for anything worthwhile. but serving a near facsimile of food from x y and z countries does not constitute a local "food scene". it just means that LA is a big diverse metro areav, and has some great ethnic food.

But LA lacks a strong restaurant scene - one where local chefs open restaurants which define new and innovate genres of cooking. LA has lots of poseurs - restaurants and restauranteurs focused more on image than substance (how surprising!). We have great interior decorators, but the focus on food is lacking. just like our actors, who come here to become famous, not because they are artists consumed with the art of acting.

i will say it - LA lacks a strong food culture.
Simply not true. Like I said, we have great hamburgers. Arguably,the best in the world. L.A Invented the gastropub, which has become so popular around the country. And I can think of dozens of retardants that do not rely on other cultures and still manage to be amazing culinary experiences. I could list them, but it is pointless to do so. However, it say that there is no food culture in L.A. Is simpy incorrect.