View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The recent public hearing for the deveopment of a portion of Lancaster Ridge owned by First Baptist Church drew a mixed broup including a couple of bigots who were horiffied at the prospect of an apartment development being built in an area of owner occupied homes. The bigoted couple comprised a husband and wife who were much more polite than they were at the PIM but used coded words. The lady is a person of colour but she seemed quite at ease explaining why renters are unsuitable She was one of the last speakers. I went to the meeting with one purpose - to speak in favour of mixed neighbourhoods and I explained how many times we rented and owned a home. I also spoke of the mix of residents in our area.
The changes taking place in central HRM will over time turn many neighbourhoods into middle class ghettoes, much like Bedford. I don't see any real effort in the centre plan to encourage mixed neighbourhoods, lower income voices have not been heard and the trend is not positive.
HRM needs that sweet tax revenue from skyrocketing property values in the core, so don't look for them to try anything that would cause that to moderate. That's the only way the tax-and-spend Council can feed their addiction.