View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 1:16 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
University of Alabama's football stadium is right in the heart of Tuscaloosa, population 206,765 and their stadium holds 92,012 people. ............

Besides, we're not proposing anything close to this size stadia. Just a puny one that will probably never grow past 30,000 in size.

This is smack in the middle of Tuscaloosa

I checked this on Wikipedia and initially it was only 12,000 seats (bench style based on other pictures) when it was constructed in 1929 and was expanded several times thereafter.

I think 15,000 permanent bench style seats along just one side line would be a good start for phase I of the Halifax Stadium (hopefully to be built north of the Halifax Forum area). I would like to see this 15,000 seat section built along one side line with all the seats covered with a roof and extra washroom facilities. Then temporary seating can be installed along the other side line and end zones to add another 15,000 for CFL games and concerts (this being temporary would not be covered). The washroom facilities of the permanent seating section would also be adequate for the temporary seating. Then people attending concerts don't need to use portable washrooms (how much money is wasted to bring in all these portable washrooms for concerts on the Commons?)

I feel that if this were built then within 5 years, based on the likely success of the stadium, there would be a start on phase II which would be another 15,000 bench style seats along the other side line (again with a roof covering all seats) bringing the permanent seats to 30,000 with room in the end zones for another 10,000 - 15,000 temporary seats when required.

Ideally, this would be a relatively painless, with a cost of the first phase being about $20 million.