View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Thanks indeed for the appreciation of Montreal and old Quebec City! I likewise have great affection for California's major cities.

Paper Moon still surprises me every time I watch it, even if the lyrics to a well known song are more or less memorized. I find that so much of cinemga is bland or overpowering, that a well told story, with the right crew, actors, design staff and directorial panache is a rare, beautiful thing to behold.
You feel the Great Depression in "Paper Moon", although the comedy softens it. I also like "The Grapes of Wrath" by Steinbeck, novel and film. No comedy there. Just hardscrabble grit and tragedy, and perseverance. A more recent film, "Cinderella Man" about fighter James Braddock is also an excellent taste of the "Dirty Thirties", and the climb out.

Maybe when this pandemic is over, like when the "Spanish" Flu pandemic faded away in 1920, we will have another "Roaring Twenties". Everybody wants to get out and LIVE again.

More topics shortly. Lots more about the '20s, but will also start in on the '30s.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 15, 2022 at 12:06 PM.