View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:48 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I certainly wasn't knocking the Jays (I'm a fan), I was knocking the vacuous people where you live.

If wherever you live had more than one team, maybe then they'd have bandwagons too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have no idea how this will go (and realize that basketball is seen as sexier than both hockey and baseball), but it's worth noting that the Blue Jays winning two World Series while the Leafs continued to suck still did not allow the Jays to overtake the Leafs as the most popular team.

The difference is that basketball (both domestically & globally) is an ascendant sport, while baseball and hockey are stagnating or declining in popularity. Regardless of the success of the Raptors, basketball is by far the #1 sport among the under 30 demographic in the GTA. As this group ages I don't think it'll be likely that they switch to a different favourite sport either. I guess what remains to be seen is if its current popularity will be maintained amongst the next generation of kids, or if they'll have something new.

(in b4 I'm accused of being a basketball fanboy who hates Canadian sports - these are just the facts)