View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 8:48 PM
Red October standing by

Yangpong - my totalitarian city

having been to Baghdad and seen several of Saddam Hussein's palaces, monuments and government buildings, and then visiting the Nuremberg parade and rally grounds, and then reading the Architectural and Cultural Guide to Pyongyang, i decided to build my own totalitarian dystopia in sim city 4, mostly based around the North Korean capital.

here it is, showing both postcard propaganda and smuggled photos the ruling regime would rather not have shown:

the government district is in the center; you can also see the avenue of heroes running from stadium island to the victory arch; cropped out at the bottom is the secret military district

another aerial showing most of the rest of the city; in the center is tourist island, where tourists get to stay and enjoy gambling, conventions, and very closely guided tours

welcome to tourist island

stadium island

government district

"victory" arch

and the other end of the avenue of heroes, which is lined with military monuments and military cemeteries

university area, at the bottom of the central peninsula

a historic, not so flattering photo showing the stalled construction on the country's tallest tower; thankfully it's been finished and clad in shiny panels

it looks so pretty now...

...compared to when under construction. for two decades.

monuments around the city

housing and cityscape outside of the government district

some nice and new...

...some older block towers

of course, the worst housing in the city is in the city jail and prison, both located in the restricted military district. very special political prisoners get to stay in the capital, but live and work in a landfill and toxic waste dump

-

-fflint