View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:34 PM

For today's Julius Shulman photoset we're off to the Bank of Encino in Sherman Oaks. This is "Job 2359: Leon Edgar, Bank of Encino (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1957".

Here's a better view of the sign.

I like this unusual exposed staircase at the back.

And now some interior shots. The first is looking out through the front windows. Note the pointed structure on the right - I'll be returning to it below.

Looking towards the rear - the external staircase can just be seen at the back.

A wider shot of the scene above.

The building must've been brand new as there's no furniture behind the counters.

Here's the pointed structure from the earlier picture. It was a "Day and Night Deposit" box.

All from Getty Research Institute

No address was provided in the description, and the pictures only identify it as 14708. The building below at 14708 Ventura Boulevard was the first one I checked out. The property websites give a build date of 1956, but I wasn't convinced ...

GSV

... until I went back to the October 2011 GSV image. Although the building was empty, I was amazed that the original design had survived virtually intact until just a few years ago.

GSV

The new design has also changed the front third of the side of the building, but the back is pretty much unchanged. This shot's a little blurry because it's at maximum zoom with the Googlemobile parked on Dickens Street. The corner staircase is clearly visible.

GSV