View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 3:46 PM
All man. Half nuts.

couple of questions for those-in-the-know:

1 - is there an estimated height for the 10-story hotel? BA's rendering looks like it'll be about the same height or slightly taller than the hampton, which according to emporia is 120 feet.

2 - what is the proposal on the BSU campus next to the dorm towers in BA's rendering? it looks like a 7-8 story structure; is that a placeholder for the graphic arts building?

3 - while these two new hotel proposals are great, i seem to recall the boise convention center wanting a 400-room hotel to support the expansion, ideally within a block or so of the grove (IMO, one ideal location would be the surface parking lot on front and 6th; another would be across the street from Hotel 43). here's the quote from the statesman that i'm referring to:

Quote:
Sooner or later, Rice said, the auditorium needs a major hotel — think 350 to 400 rooms — within a block or two of Boise Centre.

“The Centre needs a big hotel if we’re really going to deliver on that expected economic impact that we want,” Rice said.

Johnson looks at the issue from a different perspective. He likes the idea of several smaller hotels that together add more rooms in Boise as demand ramps up. It’s harder to fill a big hotel, he said, especially one that depends on conventions as its main source of guests.
granted, there is a difference of opinion in the piece, and it looks more like we're getting smaller hotels to fill the need instead of one large one.

we now have two smaller proposals with a total of 250 rooms, which suggests there's still a potential need for 100 to 150 more rooms. i wonder if one more proposal is in the works... perhaps a mixed use hotel/condo/office structure on one of the lots i mentioned? a 150 room hotel combined with condos/office space on a smaller lot like the one by Hotel 43 could even result in a new tallest. thoughts?