View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:59 AM
500 foot Groundscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
I have to disagree.

First off, having only one runway will create problems of back-up even if all the planes are going short distances

But, I still feel distant locals are key in our current global economy. All major industries have operations around the world. China and India are hotspots right now. I work in the biotech industry and have had to go to both many times over the past few years. Yes, maybe we don't need a new airport if we want Lindbergh to be a tourist/vacation travel airport, but that is NOT where airports or the communities they are in make money. They make money on business travel, and the world is getting smaller not larger. Companies (like mine) think nothing of sending employees to a an important meeting in Mumbai or Shanghai whereas just 10 years ago this would have seemed crazy for anyone other than the "big wigs" of the company. Many major industries, including the biotech and pharamceutical companies which is one of our most important high tech sectors are global. San Diego is known as "Biotech Beach" and is in direct competition with "Biotech Bay" up in SF. I have actually known people involved in setting up West Coast offices for Pharma companies and the lack of direct interantional flights is a consideration in choosing SF over SD

HSR may have some impact, but again intra-state flights are not the money makers. It's the SD to New York, SF to Tokyo, LA to Frankfurt BUSINESS travellers who pull in the money. These people spend more on airline tickets as well as more on hotels and restaurants than tourists. Since there are no alternatives to quick long haul travel air travel isn't going anywhere
Do you think it is why they got the state stem cell center?