View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:19 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
The only word I have is "WOW!!" More amazing photos, thanks SO much for posting these! This thread is my absolute favourite of the entire site.

On another note, does anyone know if the old "movie projector" mural on the Burt is going to be painted over with something little more appropriate to the venue? IMO it's looking a bit shabby, and I'd like to see it changed before someone declares it a "vital part of the neighbourhood" or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^I love that painting. Before TNSE put the LED screen in, they always put big posters for upcoming events up. Looked like it was projecting the poster, it was cheeky and fun. I was thinking it'd be cool to see the north wall get more murals on it under the old circles one.

Or develop the parking lot and Enterprise. I'd settle for that.

Yeah, I'm with 'pspeid'. Just like the Millennials have a hate on for the 1980s, this 1970s-era kitschy styled mural is too 1970s for me. Maybe update it a bit or replace it with another likeable image. Hope this isn't a "be careful what you wish for" thing. I'd like there to be a design competition or something that Winnipeggers can vote for rather than TNSE just slap something up there for.

The current mural says Heritage Winnipeg just starting up. Exchange District being "saved". That's all in the past now, decades later. Baby boomers just finishing their university and college days and getting their "career" on. Baby Boomers with their leather jackets in the summer, real fur coats in the winter. Eaton's and The Bay are still primary destinations. The D.A.S.H. bus operates weekdays around the downtown area. MTC has plays. Eaton's catalogue building to become Eaton Place. CBWT shows old movies late at night (Cinema Six).

You get the idea.

What I wouldn't want would be Mr. Cummings image/likeness plastered on as a mural. If that's the idea, I'd prefer the 1970s kitsch to remain indefinitely. He's not cute/handsome enough for that. If it were Crash Test Dummies, Corey Hart, Bryan Adams, then we'd be talkin' possibilities.