View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 8:15 PM

The house at 2712 La Salle Avenue appears to be still standing in fairly original condition, although trees prevent a good view.

-------------

I skip over many of Julius Shulman's photos of houses, but John DeLario's Willfong House caught my eye. BifRayRock posted some early pictures of this house, also known as Castillo del Lago, in post #11672. This is "Job 5862: John DeLario, Willfong House (Los Angeles, Calif.),1980".

Both from Getty Research Institute

From a 2009 article on la.curbed.com:
A nine-bedroom chateau on Mulholland Drive, Castillo del Lago was at one point owned by Madonna, who purchased the home back in 1993 for about $5 million. And it's Madonna's terrible renovation of this home that warranted a mention in a 1999 Los Angeles magazine article. The piece is a story about real estate agent Crosby Doe: "But for Doe, the most galling example of misguided renovation occurred during Madonna's ownership of John DeLario's 1926 Hollywood Hills masterpiece, Castillo del Lago. Once his favorite property in L.A., one he'd sold three times before, Castillo was transformed by the pop singer (and her designer brother, Christopher Ciccone) from a grand Andalusian Spanish house into a root-beer-red faux Florentine villa. Even worse, Doe has to see it every day; he and his wife Linda live in a painstakingly restored two-story Spanish aerie designed by Blick on the same mountaintop. "She wrecked it," says Doe. "They took the historic tiles off the roof, threw them in a Dumpster and put on these Taco Bell tiles. It was one desecration after another. Criminal!"
I remember seeing the house during Madonna's ownership in one of those true crime shows about celebrity stalkers - it was like a fortress. Here's a hint at the makeover she gave it.

la.curbed.com

I think some of the "terrible renovation" work may have now been undone. This image from Bing Maps shows the walls painted white again. My only doubt is that there's no date with this aerial view, and some of Bing's 45-degree aerials are a few years old.

Bing Maps