View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
I don’t have the link handy ATM, but on the city website relating to this project, I think it implied that they got federal funding for the study and phase I part of this process for the 2016-2021 timeline (from the department of transportation). And my takeaway is that they’d have to secure additional federal funds for the next budget timeline to get the dollars to actually start the building of it. It didn’t say that explicitly; but that was what I gathered by reading between the lines.
Yea, this definitely needs significant federal funding. No way the city or park district can afford to pay for more than a small % of this. The good (actually bad, but in this case kinda good?) thing is that it's predominately just a highway rebuild... which our esteemed elected officials from both sides of the aisle agree we should spend unlimited amounts of money on. The added park space doubles as flood mitigation to protect the highway... so even that could be considered highway funding.

But before they can even apply for the big grants they need to have a plan in place.. which is what IDOT/CDOT appear to be doing with this. Not sure why it took 7 years to get to this point though...