View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I don't think NYC and Toronto feel similar.

In terms of demographics, NYC is way more Hispanic & Black. Toronto is way more Asia-Pacific (i.e., East Asians (e.g., Chinese), South Asians (e.g., Indians), Southeast Asians (e.g., Filipinos). That's like one of the most striking differences when you land in NYC -- the large Hispanic & Black populations.

Sticking with demographics, the multigenerational White populations in both cities are pretty different culturally and attitudinally. People in Toronto generally seem more like a mix of British politeness and Midwestern niceness / down-to-earthness.
Another thing to add regarding the people, which popped up into my mind this morning, is that New Yorkers in Manhattan don't generally wait for the light to cross. As long as they think the coast is clear, they're crossing. And I get it. There are lights every block it seems and it would take forever to anywhere if they always waited.

Here in TO, when I'm walking from Union to work, people are not only waiting for the light, they are waiting for the little walking mine to show up. That 1-2 second in between the light turning red and the walking man show up will have like 4/5 people at the light still waiting even though they walk this route all the time and know there's no advance. While 1/5 will start walking as soon as it turns red.

Now I'm comparing the CBD of TO Manhattan outside of Wall Street. Didn't spend a heck of a lot of time down there.

Anyway, in Chicago, I don't recall people jaywalking non stop everywhere.

New Yorkers to me are on a whole other level than people anywhere else. So therefore, TO and CHI people would be closer in personality and attitude than NY and TO.