View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:15 PM

RE: Huntington Hotel, Pasadena
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
As a kid, I dipped in that pool a few times. But what I remember most was the lush Bermuda grass on both sides of the pool. You even got a huge hotel towel to use. The public could use the pool for a dollar.

That hotel was my landing place for the Airport Bus in my Navy days. LAX <-> Huntington Hotel $3 one way....I think the bus left every two or three hours. We lived about 2 miles distant at that time.

[I believe the ivy on the side of the hotel gives an illusion]
................................................................................................................Without all the ivy.
Thanks so much for sharing your memories, CBD.

Did you know the Huntington Hotel pool was California's first Olympic sized swimming pool? [built in 1926]
You were swimming in a BIG pool, CBD!

I also found this interesting.

"At the beginning of WW2 as the nation mobilized, all hotel reservations were cancelled, still, the hotel remained open for civilian and military use.
The army's 35th Division used a portion of the hotel as its regional headquarters."

I thought it would be easy-peasy to locate a photo of the 35th Regional Division HQ when it was located at the hotel...but so far I've come up empty.

Info. HERE

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 5, 2019 at 11:54 PM.