View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 9:25 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Metro North Extension (Danbury Line)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I hope that Metro North extension to New Milford happens soon. It's definitely needed.

And supposedly there are plans to electrify the whole route. That would be huge.
Here is some more information on the project!

This is taken from the HVCEO:

Quote:
PHASE 1 Phase I service expansion adds additional peak hour shuttle service, additional midday service, and an additional reverse commute. This phase calls for more intensive use of the two shuttle trains currently in service on the Danbury Branch Line and the purchase of one additional shuttle train.

In Phase 1 total daily train trips rises from 22 to 31. This investment is estimated to attract 400+ daily new riders. Costs are $5.3 million for capital and $1.3 million for annual operating. To allow for ridership growth, there is then a gap of three years before the Phase 2 Branch Line service expansion described below is implemented.

PHASE 2 Danbury Branch service expansion, scheduled for year 7, builds directly upon Phase 1. It calls for one new through roundtrip to NYC, additional midday service and an additional reverse commute. This phase is projected to attract 242+ daily new riders, in addition to the 400+ attracted by Phase 1.

In this phase the number of train trips rises from 31 to 38, accomplished via more intense use of the three existing shuttles and the purchase of one additional equipment set for the through train. Phase 2 costs are $12.9 million for capital and $.9 million for annual operating.

PHASES 3 to 5 An additional three expansions, Phases 3 to 5, would extend rail passenger service to a new station near I-84 in northern Danbury, then further north to New Milford, CT. Estimated new ridership is 559. As an historical note, passenger rail service was last operated north of Danbury to New Milford (and on to Pittsfield, Mass.) in 1971.

By restoring service to New Milford, the Norwalk to Danbury Branch mileage of 23.6 would be extended another 14.3 miles, to 37.9. Of critical importance, this is the direction of rapidly growing commuter flows in Fairfield and southern Litchfield Counties.
Currently, the project is in Phase II and construction on the existing railway infrastructure is being worked on:
Quote:
The Danbury Centralized Train Control (CTC) and Signalization System project is installing an electronic train monitoring, communication, and track control system on the Danbury Branch.
Project News Website:http://www.danburybranchstudy.com/

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~