View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'Flaming torches' courtyard apts. 1200 block S. Mariposa

Very interesting. Thanks for the information oldstuff.

Here is a courtyard apartment on the 1400 block of S. Bonnie Brae that I've had my eye on for years, but for some reason or other never posted about it.
oldstuff's comment about the King Tut discovery, immediately reminded me of this unique rental.

GSV

oldstuff, could you look it up at the County Assessor's office to establish a date? Surely this was built during, or soon after, the Egyptian craze.

below: The Egyptian symbol above the front entrance.

matches almost perfectly

http://api.ning.com/files/gQ3x6jszWT...ymbolTitle.jpg

below: Here is a slightly different angle, that also shows the two fine buildings to the north of the low-slung courtyard apt.

GSV

A closer view of the neighboring apartments to the north. (I especially like the twin cartouches with wooden slats for vents)

GSV

I don't want to go too crazy with the street views, but I'll add one more.
I just couldn't leave out this very nice apartment on the other side of the 'Egyptian' courtyard apt.(to the south)

GSV

aerial / you can see the long narrow 'Egyptian' courtyard in the center.

google earth

Thanks ReDSPork02, for your help in locating my mystery building. I was thrown by the colors.
Was the Post Office Annex ever Blue? -or were the colors in my slide messed up?
The Los Angeles County Assessor has a build date on the Egyptian court as 1925. There are 10 apartment on the property and there is no "remodeling" date which would indicate that it has been left pretty much alone since 1925