View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 6:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Groceries aren't that convenient for fetching on foot here.
With the North End today I'd guess that future improvements to the neighbourhood are being priced in to these units somewhat. By the time the condo is complete and occupied, there will probably be a few more options nearby, and in 5-10 years I think the shopping landscape will have changed a lot. But I am not so sure about full-service grocery stores and it's definitely a risk. It might not matter so much if there are good delivery options for staples and then good small shops for fresh produce.

The North End has a bit of a "problem" in that it doesn't have full service stores along the main older arteries like Gottingen or Agricola but there are suburban-style stores just close enough to siphon off a lot of that market; convenient for some but they might make it take longer to get more services in other nearby areas. Eventually, I think the old Sobeys locations at least (Queen St and Windsor) will probably get mixed use redevelopments.

I don't think foreign buyers (everybody means something different by this but usually it means investment buyers who don't live in Canada, though maybe they have kids who go to school in this country) are a big factor in this part of town. But I could see people cashing out of say Toronto real estate putting upward pressure on these prices. There are lots of people who bought shoebox Toronto condos circa 2010 who would see these as very affordable.