View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post
Statement of a guy from Cologne working in the Hamburg area: "What strikes me is that Hamburg is so green. So many trees between the buildings. The city is much more beautyful than Cologne, although it is such a young city." (Note: Hamburg was founded in the 9th century).

It is generally acknowledged in Germany that out of the big german cities, Hamburg is the most beautyful second only to Munich. And there is much to do leisure-wise in Hamburg (surely not less than in Cologne). Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know shit.
And the thing with Hamburg being good for party is only partly true: It is good if you are together with your friends or a travelgroup. But going alone is boring (unless you are extremely extroverted), because it is extremely hard to get in contact with locals (even for me. And I'm from Hamburg!). People just stay with their friends and don't seem to be interested in conversation with other people, and if a small talk evolves then they always keep the distance as if it is a small talk among businessmen.
The only thing which is really grey is the weather in winter (which surely affects the mood).

ukw, have you been in Hamburg? How long and how often?
Hey man. I've been to Hamburg 2 times (in 2003 and 2005).

It has a special place in my heart because it has a world-famous club party scene, great music, girls... port cities are always romantic, like Amsterdam and Odessa. But, it's still a blue-collar industrial town. It doesn't have a lot of interesting history behind it (because it was almost completely re-built after WW2), unlike other German cities. That's what I mean.

Contrary to what you say, it was very easy for me to make friends there, even though I was on my own. I just went to a club, drank with some people, they smiled and took pictures with me. Very very friendly people, even though some locals warned me about the "closed circles" like you did. Not even close - everyone was very open and nice. The "closed circles" are actually here in the USA where I live.

FYI I was @ Tunnel Club, D Club (in the St.-Pauli area).